1995 Thanksgiving Council Notes
This document consists of
Rainbow Family of Living Light
as compiled in a manner selected by consensus.
The following were consented to by the group of people who met
in the council circle
at the 1995 Rainbow Family of Living Light Thanksgiving Council
- P.O. Box: The address for the 25th Annual Gathering
of the Tribes of the Rainbow Family of Living Light is:
P.O. Box 402
Coyle, OK 73027.
Frenchy and Janet (and
anyone who really wants to help) will focalize postal communications.
Janet will handle communications with any regional focalizers.
The '96 communication center will be moved with the base camp.
- Bank Council: The bank council between Thanksgiving
council and Spring council is : Sheila, Toad, Janet, EverGreen,
and Frenchy. No communication regarding bank business will go
on the internet.
- Spring Council and Scout Rendezvous: The 1996 Rainbow
Family of Living Light Spring Council will begin April 1st, 1996
on the old regional site from 1987 in the National Forest near
Mena, Arkansas. Spring council will be ongoing from then. Scout
Rendezvous will be (at the scouts' convenience) approximately
2-3 days before April 1st, at the Mena site. (Ed. Note - Scouts
say they will attend Spring Council.)
- Support Our Scouts: The scouts and base camp need
our support, so if anyone can send a personal donation or focalize
a fund raiser please send donations to the Coyle box.
- Thanksgiving Council Minutes: The final version of
the minutes will be organized by the scribes, EverGreen will type,
and Rob will mail them, by themselves, First Class, to all the
focalizers and friendly publications to be published. They will
be available for anyone else who wants them through the Coyle
P.O. Box. If possible, please send a donation to cover postage.
- Barter Circle: The 1995 Rainbow Family Thanksgiving
Council feel that the barter circle could be held in a more respectful
location than along the main trails and main circle. We hope that
this concern will be further addressed at Spring council.
- The 25th Annual Gathering of the Tribes of the Rainbow
Family of Living Light: The 1995 Rainbow Family Thanksgiving
Council invites all to the 25th Annual Gathering of the Tribes
of the Rainbow Family of Living Light, June 28 through July 10,
1996, in the Ozark Range. "Ignore All Rumors of Cancellation
Regardless of Source."
- Tribal Council on the land last summer The Dates of
the Annual Gathering: The 1995 Rainbow Family Thanksgiving Council
notes and is hereby acting upon the consensus of the Rainbow Family
that the dates of the Annual Gathering of the Tribes are June
28 through July 10.
The following notes are minutes from the Thanksgiving Council
containing comments which are not necessarily related to Thanksgiving
council business nor any council circle consensus :
PO Box and Banking
- mail, banking and other postal services should be located
reasonably close to camp.
- mail should be opened on the land .
- bank mail can be earmarked for particular purposes .
- mail forwarding will be handled by the Post Office when base
camp location changes .
the Rainbow Guide
- there will be a Rainbow Guide council on July 5th.
- the guide should be completed in 60 days.
the All Ways Free newspaper
- All Ways Free folks will attempt to produce an issue before
- the address to be used for All Ways Free communication is
All Ways Free
c/o Rainbow Oaks
Rt. 2, Box 84
Warrens, WI 54666.
Spring Council and Scouting
- should spring council and scout council occur at the same
time and place?
- scouts should utilize locals for information, supply sources,
etc. . . .
- scouts from various areas should scout around their territories
and come together in one place for a council to have a consensus
on a gathering site.
- scouts should not go into town to collect food stamps.
- should scouts be independent?
- scouts will participate in spring council and be responsive
to the ongoing camp.
- scouts as of this time are Badger, Art, and Gypsy and a contingent
crew from the areas near the Ozark Range.
- there was a discussion about a consensus for a mailing to
raise funds for scout camp, seed camp, and spring council, however
no consensus was reached.
Composting and Shitters
- compost sites are located near the kitchens.
- they feed our earth mother.
- the composts should be covered for health reasons.
- we should use (for excrement) slit trenches which are to be
monitored by a crew from CALM and others.
- the "cat-scratch" method is used by some, but is
not appropriate at large gatherings of people.
Clean-up, Garbage, Recycling
- intelligent recycling is important.
- the deeds of "if you pack-it-in, then you pack-it-out"
are more important.
- Everything should be removed! This includes Clothing, Equipment,
- all literature put out should have a strong clean-up focus.
- if possible, family within the local region should bring a
vehicle to help with recycling and garbage, and should bring knowledge
of local recycling companies.
- clean-up also includes the healing and re-naturalizing of
Health and Children
- we need to ingest more fluids and to eat live foods.
- we should help the children because they are the future.
- we should help young parents because they cannot function
- a report was given about a high incidence of Tuberculosis
among the homeless.
- health problems should be dealt with before they become very
Barter Circle and Trading
Forest Service regulations
- we held a lengthy discussion about the new Forest Service
- Exercise the right to peaceably assemble!
- in order to defend the right to gather, we must gather.
- the rainbow family is an extended family of living light,
and not a political entity.
- our unalienable rights are protected in law by the U.S. Constitution,
which is the only permit we need.
- talk to everyone (particularly those who are not family) about
the Rainbow, about the Forest Service regulations, and about our
- an individual's action can affect the entire family.
- no individual should be held accountable for the actions of
any other individual, even if they are family.
Process of Consensus
- the council process and consensus by silence was discussed.
- filibuster can be used to abuse the consensus process.
- consensus by attrition is not true consensus.
- the council process works when handled with respect.
- trust in spirit through the process . . . even if the process
fails, spirit does not.
- the vision council process and the events of the vision council
in New Mexico were discussed.
- why should we use the "Babylon" line drawings to
map our visions?.
- following the "wheel in four directions" and never
repeating a "state" were traditions, not consensus.
- vision council should be a place to open up to actual visions,
and to all of our visions.
Close to fifty dollars was collected from the circle to finance
the mailing of the minutes, by themselves.
These minutes only contain notes taken from spoken discussions
in council about family business.